Most women have been dreaming of their wedding day since their first encounter with Barbie and Ken. Throughout history, weddings have always been intended to celebrate one thing: the unconditional love shared between two people.
Wedding planning is often more important to the big day than the actual day itself! From boutonnieres to bridesmaids, invitations to ivory gowns, every detail must be executed perfectly…at least, that’s the hope.
Are you preparing for wedded bliss? If so, congratulations! You can now join ranks with the estimated 2.3 million couples who wed every year in the US (that works out to 6,200 weddings held each day). Yup, that’s a lot of icing….
Wedding specialists at TheKnot.com conducted a recent survey of 19,000 U.S. brides, revealing the following in-depth wedding trends and statistics:
From catering to cosmetic surgery, the following figures are based on the collective average of current US wedding trends….
- average wedding costs: $26,984
- average cost of wedding dress: $1,099
- average price of engagement ring: $5,392
- cost of ceremony site: $1,393
- cost of reception venue: $12,124
- reception band fee: $3,081
- disc jockey fee: $900
- photographer fee: $2,320
- videographer fee: $1,463
- cost of wedding gown: $1,099
- cost of florist/décor: $1,988
- cost of invitations: $351
- price of wedding cake: $540
- catering (cost per head): $61
- wedding day transportation: $667
- cost of party favors: $222
- average cost per guest: $194
- rehearsal dinner fee: $1,127
- average number of guests: 141
- number of bridesmaids: 4
- number of groomsmen: 4
- length of engagement: 14 months
- average age of a bride: 29
- average age of a groom: 31
- 62% of weddings have a flower girl
- 56% have a ring bearer
- 69% of engaged couples have known each other 3+ years
- 53% of couples pay for most of the wedding costs
- 43% of women wear white/ivory wedding gowns
- 35% of brides consider cosmetic surgery for their wedding
- 93% of couples already live together before their wedding
- 61% of brides choose their own engagement ring
- 3% of grooms will not wear a wedding ring
- 45% of couples chose a religious ceremony
- 17% of couples have their honeymoon in Europe
- 24 % of couples opt for a destination weddings
- 88% of brides will take their husband’s surname once married
- 80% of traditional weddings are performed in churches or synagogue
- 53% of weddings occur in the afternoon; 31% in the evening; 16% in the morning
- 81% of guests say entertainment is the most memorable aspect of a wedding
- 67% of married women still wear the same fragrance as on their wedding day
In more recent years, wedding planning has turned to the World Wide Web. 40% of brides-to-be will employ specialized companies to create wedding items such as the wedding invitations and RSVP cards. With some unique designs and tailor-themed invites, it is very easy to turn bridal stationery into wedded keepsakes for you and your attending loved ones.
While you’re at it, don’t forget to refer to the infographic below for some wedded bliss visuals!